Terry Spencer Associated Press Updated 2:39 p.m. UTC Jul 10, 2018 Sunrise, Fla. – A commission investigating the Florida high school massacre learned Tuesday that the suspect’s late mother allowed him to buy a gun even though his mental health counselors opposed the idea. Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri, chairman of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Commission, told members that Lynda Cruz was “an enabler” who interfered with efforts to get her son Nikolas Cruz treatment. “If he wants to have a gun, he could have a gun,” Gualtieri said Lynda Cruz told his counselors. Lynda Cruz died in November, three months before investigators say her 19-year-old son killed 17 at the school on Valentine’s Day. Gualtieri told members that school and mental health counselors had at least 140 contacts with Nikolas Cruz over the years trying to get him help, but his mother frequently interfered. He did not go into specifics. School and government records obtained by The Associated Press and other media shortly after the shooting show Nikolas Cruz was diagnosed as developmentally delayed at age 3 and had disciplinary issues dating to middle school. In February 2014, while in eighth grade, Nikolas Cruz was… Read full this story
- President Trump Boasts He Would've Run Into Florida School to Charge Shooter — Even Without a Gun
- Trump Administration Gave 500,000 Fugitives the Right to Buy Guns
- Should church shooter Devin Patrick Kelley have been allowed to buy guns?
- Walmart raises minimum age for buying guns to 21
- AU official says objective of "Silencing the Guns" in Africa achievable
- Florida, Utah confirm future home-and-home
- 5 Laws to Keep Guns Away From People Like the Orlando Shooter
- Valentine's Day Horror: What is Known About Florida School Shooting Spree
- Gun Control Protests Aren't Going Away This Time: More Rallies to Come After National School Walkouts
- County police have seized hundreds of guns with 'red flag' law in two years since Parkland shooting
Official: Florida shooter’s mom allowed him to buy guns have 329 words, post on eu.detroitnews.com at July 10, 2018. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.