The 2018 Fiat 500L offers the best value and has the best economic performance in its class according to the Automotive Science Group’s (ASG) annual Automotive Performance Index (API) study. The Fiat 500L won the ‘Best Economic Performance Award’ in the 2018 study, beating out all of its 27 competitors which includes cars like the Subaru Outback and Volvo V60.
The ASG Best Economic Performance Award is given to the vehicle with the lowest cost of ownership in its class. The assessment is based on initial vehicle purchase price and forecasted fuel and operating costs.
The 500L is the lowest priced vehicle in its class with an MSRP of $20,995 and has the lowest cost of ownership when considering purchase and operating costs across the first 6.5 years / 87,594 miles of its lifecycle.
The Fiat 500L utilizes advanced design to keep it lightweight, yet strong. An example is the use of polycarbonate for the rear-quarter window. Polycarbonate is typically used in aircraft canopies, and the 500L is the first volume production car in the world to use it.
According to the study, ASG says the 500L lightweight maximizes operational efficiency. The 500L has the lightest vehicle architecture in its class, coming in at 590 pounds less than its average competitor. Fewer resources used add up to a reduced environmental footprint, increased operational efficiency and reduced life-cycle operating costs.
The 500L’s weight advantage, combined with its best-in-class retail price and a fuel economy rating, helped it achieve a combined total cost savings of 35 percent over the initial 6.5 years of ownership when compared with the average vehicle in its class.
Besides being economical, the Fiat 500L is also a terrific family car, having the interior room of a full-size car within its sub-compact outer dimensions. The versatile 500L has best in class cargo room and the most storage and seating configurations compared to its competition. Being an Italian car also means the 500L is fun to drive, with sure-footed handling, excellent high-speed stability, strong brakes and a lively engine that features 184 ft.lbs of torque – the most of any car in its class. No wonder it is the best selling car of its kind in Europe over the past five years.
The 2018 Fiat 500L has been revamped with the following updates and enhancements:
- Redesigned front and rear fascia design, bodyside molding design, wheel designs, daytime running light lens and rear side reflector design
- Standard ParkView rear backup camera
- New exterior paint colors available: Blu Denim, Arancio Pastello (Pastel Orange) and Bronzo Metallizzato (Metallic Bronze)
Revamped interior with features that include:
- Thin-film transistor (TFT) cluster display
- Improved center console with relocated cup holders, new gear shifter and new parking brake handle
- Additional USB port
- LED interior ambient lighting
- New steering wheel and HVAC control knob position
- Uconnect 4 system standard on all 2018 Fiat 500L models, and includes a 7-inch display and Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability
Source:FCA, Automotive Science Group
Images: FCA and Author
- Avisi Technologies, LLC Wins “Best of the Best” at Mid Atlantic Bio Angels’ Year-End 1st Pitch Life Science Competition
- Vincentric Announces 2019 Best Value in America Awards: Toyota leads with seven awards; Audi and Honda each win four
- Auto/Mate Wins "Best Places to Work" Award in New York’s Capital Region; 9th Year in a Row to Receive the Honor
- The Latest: Criss wins best actor in a TV limited series
- The Latest: 'Bohemian Rhapsody' wins best drama Globe Award
- TGR Is the First Production Company to Win Best Film from both Powder and Surfer Magazines
- The Alarm.com Academy Earns “Best Education and Support Program” Award at CES 2019
- Izzy Freeman, Owner of Izzy’s Deli, Wins Best of Los Angeles Award- “Best Deli – Santa Monica, 2019”
- Jim Moseley, CEO of Sun Fire Defense, Wins Best of Los Angeles Award- “Best Fire Defense Product- 2018”
- Andrew Smith, Owner of the Bike Shop Santa Monica, Wins Best of Los Angeles Award- “Best Bike Shop