While California Democrats are running against President Trump as the national keepers of the “resistance,” California Republicans are trying to find their voice in taking the opposite position: They’re running as the resistance to the resistance. The GOP is expressing its anti-resistance by taking on California’s sanctuary state laws. The measures prohibit local law enforcement from giving immigration officials nonpublic information about inmates’ releases or keeping inmates in custody beyond the scheduled release so federal agents can pick them up. Polls show “the intensity is off the charts” for the issue among Republican voters, said John Thomas, a strategist who is running a GOP congressional campaign in Orange County — center of a Democratic vs. Republican battle that could help determine which party controls the House next year. Thomas said his research is showing that when opposition to sanctuary laws is cast as supporting local law enforcement, it gains support among nonpartisan voters. And Republicans need every voter they can find. With the likelihood that no GOP candidate will be on the November ballot in the race for U.S. Senate, the party is desperate to give core supporters a reason to vote. That’s why voters recently received an email fundraising… Read full this story
- Has the ‘Resistance’ devolved into a mob?
- With McCain & Corker out, Risch & Inhofe in, how Congress handles Trump may change
- Republicans boot their headaches until after midterms
- The Republicans’ Alternate Realities Didn’t Start With Trump
- Obama slams Republicans: Trump is 'capitalizing on resentment'
- The one question Republicans need to ask voters to keep Congress
- Donald Trump Is the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration
- Maine Voices: We’re done wasting breath on the likes of Collins and Poliquin
- Maine Voices: Strong economy, antics on Kavanaugh may leave ‘blue wave’ dead in the water
- Maine Voices: Today’s Republicans overlook conservative case for universal health care
Republicans find their voice as the resistance to the resistance have 326 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at April 5, 2018. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.