For more than a decade, a Florida School district maintained that four third-grade girls were responsible for allowing their teacher to sexually abuse them in the classroom. The students were “old enough to appreciate the consequences of their actions” and “conducted themselves in a careless and negligent manner,” the Palm Beach County School District said in court documents cited by the Sun Sentinel. The documents filed in response to a 2006 civil suit from the third-graders’ families concluded the administrator should not be held responsible in the incident. Now, the district is poised to pay $3.6 million to settle the 12-year-old lawsuit, marking a shift from claims that it should not be held liable in the abuse, according to the newspaper. The group of girls, now adults, accused teacher Blake Sinrod of fondling them in their Coral Sunset Elementary School classroom in 2005. Authorities began to investigate the matter after one of the young students told her mother Sinrod had touched her inappropriately during a reading group and also instructed her to touch his genitals through his pants. Three other girls told similar stories of classroom abuse. The teacher, now 46, was fired in 2006 and pleaded guilty to child… Read full this story
- School District, union reach agreement to avoid teachers strike
- Florida school districts push back against bill to arm teachers
- Florida school districts are rejecting armed teachers. Lawmakers say that’s okay.
- School district says tax bump will supplement teacher pay
- How One School District Got a Handle on Its Abuse Problem
- Who earned the most money at the Harrisburg School District?
- Student rape, national honor, food quality questions: Harrisburg School District’s down and up year
- Harrisburg School District teacher turnover blamed for low test scores on last state report card
- Reading School District introduces $291 million budget
- San Rafael school district teachers puzzled over $3.73M fund
Florida school district to pay $3.6 million after blaming third-graders for being molested by teacher have 318 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at October 11, 2017. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.