Bob Smith calls himself and his best friends “the Nature Boys.” Michael Hart, Eddie Sarfaty, John Arnold and Smith’s partner Michael Zam are gay, but should define themselves as bisexual, Smith writes in his latest, beautifully-written book, Treehab: Tales From My Natural, Wild Life, because “we’ve each had a longer relationship with Mother Nature than any other guy.” Smith, a comedian whose wit, empathy and eye for detail and beauty is evident on every page of Treehab, balances rich evocations of his love of nature, wildlife and the stunning wilderness of Alaska, with stories of his sexuality, his children, humor, and—most powerfully—the hell of living, now for almost 10 years, with ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig’s disease), which, as the ALS Association defines it, is the progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. Smith writes of the moment in May 2006 when Sarfaty noticed a muscle twitching in the back of Smith’s arm, an early symptom of ALS. So began a battery of medical tests. After he performed at a Human Rights Campaign event that autumn, his agent called to ask if he had been drunk on stage: he had slurred… Read full this story
- If You Don't Like BN, Leave Malaysia And Live Somewhere Else...
- The FDA just approved the first new drug to treat ALS in 22 years
- Cardinals trade Stephen Piscotty to A’s to be closer to his mother after ALS diagnosis
- New ALS diagnostic research to be done in Malaysia
- Khairy, JinnyBoy, Lisa Surihani And Other Malaysians Do The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
- Should I Be Doing The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge Too?
- Your $220 million to the ALS ice bucket challenge made a difference, study results show
- Electromagnetic fields linked with nerve disease: study
- Humanizing neurological diseases through literature
- Synthetic oil-based drug could slow ALS symptoms
‘Lou Gehrig’s Disease? I Don’t Even Like Baseball.’ Comic Bob Smith on Living With ALS have 326 words, post on www.thedailybeast.com at October 17, 2016. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.