Story highlights Food cravings are often emotional and not related to real hunger Cravings can come on suddenly and strong, but can just as easily pass by Experts suggest distractions, imagination, and buying time can help Vital Signs is a monthly program bringing viewers health stories from around the world. (CNN)You know you’ve had that moment — that sudden desire — to eat something with no rational reason. This is the classic sign of a food craving, but little good generally comes from it. “Most cravings are emotional, and there’s a difference between emotional hunger and actual hunger,” says Mary Beth Sodus, a Nutritional Therapist and Registered Dietician at the University of Maryland Medical Center. “They hit people above the neck as a taste for something, not actual hunger,” she says. The desire for a particular food item can be powerful and has the ability to fully consume someone’s thoughts until satisfied. But just as easily as the mind gets you into these situations, it can get you out. Read More “Cravings will go away if you wait them out, but people rarely do this,” says Sodus. Food cravings can encompass tastes for a range of flavors, but more commonly… Read full this story
- The 'unexpected' foods sabotaging your healthy eating goals: Nutritionist reveals how staples like sliced bread and soup contain hidden sugar, salt and fat that fuel cravings - and shares her tips on how to resist
- ‘Smiling depression’ plagues millions – the five signs you’re at risk in lockdown
- #Unplug: The Complete, Printable Guide
- Horoscope Today: Astrological prediction for May 19, what’s in store for Taurus, Leo, Virgo, Scorpio and other zodiac signs
- Understanding India’s streaming platforms industry in the context of lockdown
The mindful way to distract you from your cravings have 307 words, post on edition.cnn.com at June 8, 2016. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.