Before we usher in the new year, it’s time for a retrospective of 2015.Here’s our roundup of some of the biggest stories across the country, events that influenced national conversations on issues from police brutality to gay marriage, tragedies that shook our psyche and acts of heroism that showed Americans at their best. Alabama: Despite U.S. ruling legalizing gay marriage, gay adoption still a battle in the statesIt’s a story chock-full of contention. Two lesbian mothers fight for custody of their three children. Two state courts are at odds over adoption rights for same-sex couples — or at least until the Supreme Court stepped in. But first, some background: When the women — identified only as “E.L.” and “V.L.” in court documents — were still together, they temporarily moved to Georgia to sidestep Alabama law, which wouldn’t allow V.L. to legally adopt the children (E.L. was their birth mother). Georgia, on the other hand, was fine with it. But when the couple split up, things got messy. E.L. decided Alabama had the right idea after all and denied V.L. parental rights. And V.L. wasn’t having it. She took things all the way up to the Supreme Court, which blocked Alabama’s ruling on Dec. 14. If you need an explainer (we bet you… Read full this story
- Year in review: Eight stories that defined the tech industry in 2019
- Decade in Review: What the smartphone has wrought
- 2019 is the year tech couldn't stop screwing up
- Transcript: Correspondents Panel on "Face the Nation," December 29, 2019
- The Sun’s travel team reveal the best destinations they visited in 2019 – and where they’re headed next year
- Year in Review: A daring fire recovery, an art forgery and The Flintstones house
- SECOND cinema chain bans gang film Blue Story after 100-strong machete brawl broke out in front of terrified families queuing for Frozen 2 - but director defends BBC-funded movie as 'about love not violence'
- 2019 IN REVIEW: Telecom activities that spurred economic prosperity
- AP’s Top 2019 Arizona stories lead with indicted assessor
- Every Short Story 1951-2012 by Alasdair Gray - review
Year in Review: 50 stories from 50 states have 368 words, post on www.usatoday.com at December 22, 2015. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.