The Department of Energy (DOE) recently announced they have successfully created Plutonum-238. A golf ball sized chunk of the Plutonium-238 was created. Get the Free Tracker App to find a SNES Classic in Stock Scientists at Oak Ridge National Laboratory produced the radioactive substance. The Plutonium-238 was created since NASA was running out of the isotope. The Oak Ridge scientists reportedly produced about 50 grams of Pu-238.Plutonium-238 is used to fuel the Mars rovers and power its missions to outer solar system. Pu-238 has been created in the US after a long break of 30 years.For the first time since the 1980’s Plutonium was created on American soil. The last Pu-238 plant was the DOE’s Savannah River Plant in South Carolina. The plant ceased PU-238 production in the late 1980s. NASA only has Plutonium 238 left for a single planned mission to Mars. The mission is scheduled to take place in 2020. Another proposed visit by NASA is to Jupiter’s moon Europa.If the visit to Europa is undertaken it would have tied up all the fuel NASA possesses until 2024. The isotope Pu-238 is used as a fuel in the RPS (Radio-istope Power Systems).According to the Nuclear Power Assessment Study,… Read full this story
- New Dark Phoenix Clip Reveals a Dangerous Space Mission
- Venice 2018 Review: FIRST MAN, Chazelle and Gosling Produce One Hell of a Space Force
- What Does Ilsa Whisper At The End Of Mission: Impossible Fallout?
- The Punisher producers discuss the future of the Netflix series
- Disney Will Keep Deadpool Rated R After Fox Merger, But What Does This Mean for Future R-Rated Marvel Content?
- Opinion: Does 'no tipping' have future in Michigan?
- Your bedroom on Mars will look a lot different
- NASA building Mars rover ahead of 2020 launch
- NASA's Mission to Jupiter Will Tell Us Earth's Origin Story
- Does This Photo Mean Elon Musk Is Serious About Blasting His Personal Tesla Into Space? [Updated]
DOE Produces Plutonium-238 For Future Mars Space Missions have 332 words, post on www.i4u.com at December 24, 2015. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.