This month marks 15 years since Jackass introduced a feral group of fun-loving and foolhardy hooligans, hell-bent on destroying themselves (and some of their parents) for the pleasure of MTV viewers around the world. To celebrate, Rolling Stone invaded the homes of Johnny Knoxville, Steve-O, Bam Margera and, yes, Bam’s folks to find out how it all started, what they think of its legacy now, and why Steve-O didn’t close his mouth in the flying Porta Potty. Other Jackasses who participated in the video include Jason “Wee Man” Acuña, Ehren McGhehey, Preston Lacy, Dave England and Chris Pontius.
“We didn’t expect it was going to get on television,” Knoxville recalls in the video above. “And actually during the pilot … we got shot down three days in. We thought we were done then.”
“None of us knew what the fuck we were doing,” director Jeff Tremaine says. “We didn’t get permits. It was very spontaneous. It was very illegal.”
Bam Margera’s mother, April, remembers feeling aghast when she first heard the name of the show. “I said, ‘Are you even allowed to say that?’” she tells Rolling Stone. “And they said, ‘Well, it was gonna be Asshole,’ but they couldn’t do that.”
While visiting with Bam, the pro-skater also shared what he considers his “worst moments” on Jackass for another video. He grins ear to ear when recalling how Johnny Knoxville tricked him into falling into a literal snake pit, and he jovially retells a story about trying to navigate a stunt course filled with Tasers, among other stunts. “I learned to not tell Tremaine or Knoxville or anybody what you’re afraid of,” he says, smiling. “‘I love spiders, oh yeah. You can dump a whole bucket on me, I wouldn’t even care,’” he added, sarcastically.
Finally, Knoxville, England and Pontius sat on a couch – with their “high five” hand behind them – and relived the “Anaconda Ball Pit” stunt in Jackass Number Two. “I had electrical tape around my wrists because I didn’t want the snake to bite through my arteries,” Knoxville recalls, looking at footage of his ultimately bloody wrist. “In my mind, I was safe. But in reality, the snake’s just gonna bite right through that, too. And then after we shot, the guy’s like, ‘One of these snakes took off someone’s calf muscle the other day.’ I was like, ‘Thanks for telling me afterwards.’”
Videos by Steve Appleford
- ‘It’s Obviously Outrageous’: Reputed Gang Member Set Free On Bail Just Days After Allegedly Beating Man To Death In Brooklyn
- Twenty years' hard labour: From sex in the visiting centre to bikies ruling the roost - the changing scenes staff face inside Australia's largest prison
- Shocking moment dozens of teenagers from rival youth gangs brawl at one of Melbourne's busiest train stations in the middle of the day
- Wild defenseman Spurgeon 10 seasons into size-defying career
- 70 defining moments in 70 years of the NHS
- Craig Revel Horwood says the Strictly Come Dancing 'curse' is actually a 'blessing'... but he's glad it's not 'detracting' from this year's show
- NFC Playoffs 2019: Ranking wild-card chances for teams still in NFL playoff hunt after Week 14 shakeup
- AFC Playoffs 2019: Ranking wild-card chances for teams still in the NFL playoff hunt entering Week 15
- FMIA Week 14: How George Kittle and the ‘Choice’ Route Helped Lift 49ers Over Saints in the Game of the Year
- Ducks top Wild 3-2 in shootout
- Khan’s London: Gang Armed with Pistol, Shotgun, Knives, Machete, and SWORD Murder Teen
- Jaden Moodie killer's link to Anjem Choudary: Drug dealer, 19, who murdered 14-year-old grew up with stepfather who supported the notorious hate preacher
|Greater Vision Now & Then: 15 Years of Faces DVD5.0★ / $4.88||Hubble: 15 Years of Discovery3.7★ / $16||15 Years of Videos History & Violence4.7★ / check it now at Amazon||#10 NEYMAR JR Brazil Home Kid Soccer Jersey & Matching Short Set - Size:YXXL (for 12-15 years of age)4.0★ / check it now at Amazon||Holiday At Lake Bodom: 15 Years Of Wasted Youth [CD/DVD Combo]4.8★ / $18.26||War and Remembrance, 15 Years of Rock 2 Cassette Box Set check it now at Amazon||Ministry of Sound: 15 Years of Body & Soul check it now at Amazon||Walkin' Blues: Celebrating 15 Years of West Coast Blues from Mountain Top Productions5.0★ / $15.98||15 Years Of Pan And Sticks '82 – '96 by The Rising Stars Youth Steel Orchestra1.0★ / $75||Om 15: Celebrating 15 Years Of Om Records$23.78||Z100 Morning Zoo Yard Sale: 15 Years of Crap check it now at Amazon||Fully Bearded : 15 Years Of Tummy Touch Records In Dub$12.98||Z100 Morning Zoo Yard Sale: 15 Years of Crap! check it now at Amazon||15 Years Of Veggie Tales (Amazon Exclusive)(15 CD Box Set) check it now at Amazon||House Rockin' and Blues Shoutin'! - Celebrating 15 Years of The Rhythm Room$6.02||Old Enough to Know Better: 15 Years of Merge4.2★ / $4.53||Narada Guitar: 15 Years of Collected Works check it now at Amazon||Tokyo Disneyland (15 Years of Magic) check it now at Amazon||I Do 15 Years of True Stories from a Wedding Videographer$16.3||15 Years Of This Day's Thought: Over 1,700 Inspirational Quotes Arranged By Categories$14.99||Exploding Middle East Myths: 15 Years of Fighting Zionist Propaganda check it now at Amazon||15 Years of Heavy Metal (The World's Foremost Illustrated Fantasy Magazine)$199||15 Years of Heavy Metal: The World's Foremost Illustrated Fantasy Magazine check it now at Amazon||I Am Not a Poet: 15 Years of Street Roots Poetry & Art check it now at Amazon||Superstrings: The First 15 Years of Superstring Theory (2 Volumes) check it now at Amazon||Scoop from Bird Poop: 35 Years of Wild Bird Rescues$7.5||The Parents' Guide to Minor Hockey: Stickhandling Through Your Son's First 15 Years of Hockey in Canada and the U.S.$20||Mixed feelings: 15 years of Adewale Adenle's cartoons check it now at Amazon||Jerry Capeci's Gang Land - Fifteen Years of Covering the Mafia check it now at Amazon||Wide Right Since 1990 - 15 Years of Fantasy Football Excitement check it now at Amazon|
See ‘Jackass’ Gang Relive 15 Years of Wild Pranks, Scary Injuries have 982 words, post on www.rollingstone.com at October 6, 2015. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.