SAN FRANCISCO (AP) A federal judge dismissed an antitrust lawsuit filed by minor league players against Major League Baseball and its 30 teams.U.S. District Judge Haywood S. Gilliam Jr. ruled Monday the defendants are protected from the legal challenge by the sport’s antitrust exemption, created by the Supreme Court in 1922.Four former players, Sergio Miranda, Jeffrey Dominguez, Jorge Padilla and Cirilo Cruz, alleged MLB’s reserve clause illegally restricts them to one major league organization exclusively for up to seven years. The vast majority of minor league players earn salaries far below the major league average of more than $4 million, with the minor league minimum $1,100 a month for a five-month season.The suit was filed in December 2014, and Gilliam granted a motion by MLB’s lawyers to dismiss the case.”Plaintiffs have a persuasive policy argument that the defendants should not be afforded carte blanche to restrict the pay and mobility of minor league players without answering to the federal antitrust laws that apply to the employment of major league baseball players and, for that matter, all other professional sports leagues,” Gilliam wrote. ”But that policy argument must be made to Congress or the Supreme Court.”The players’ lawyer, Samuel Kornhauser, said… Read full this story
- Ohio minor league baseball team to hold a ‘LeBron James Celebration’
- The Rocket City Trash Pandas: your new favorite minor league baseball team?
- This dog just wants to play fetch -- during a minor league baseball game
- Minor league baseball players to lose salary protection under government spending legislation
- Look: You won't believe what this minor league baseball team is serving
- Here’s why minor league baseball players haven’t unionized
- How Minor League Baseball players can begin unionizing
- Meet the Pueblo Owlz. Minor League Baseball team owner to move club to Colorado.
- Minor League Baseball team makes pitch for LeBron James
- Feast your eyes on these two minor-league baseball players who share the same name and look identical
San Francisco judge tosses minor league baseball lawsuit have 341 words, post on www.foxsports.com at September 16, 2015. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.